Tuesday, July 13, 2010

An Experiment. July 8th, 2010


On Tuesday July 6th, I started a Life Drawing class at the Toronto School of Art with a great teacher by the name of Thomas Hendry. Thomas put forth a request for us to revisit our idea of a gesture drawing as more of a scribble/wire sculpture. And so, for my next open session a couple days later I came to scribble and I had a blast. Thomas asked us to draw in the over size pad of 24 x 36, which takes a bit of getting used to, as I was struggling with proportions a bit.

This scribble approach was first put forth to me by another fine instructor by the name of Anthony Harrison at  George Brown College this winter past.  It took my brain a little time to wrap my head around it, but it helps me to loosen up and the energy translates into my longer drawings as the evening progressed.

As well, at the art supply store down the road from class, there was some big and chunky sanguine "conte a paris" conte on clearance that I picked up and used and absolutely LOVED. Now I am on the search for more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment